Quote Find.

As I'm about to fall asleep on the floor of my good friend Emma Gibney's floor, I happen to see a very plain book that all at once made me want to flick through it for no particular reason. Inside was a quote that summed up all my thoughts, feeling and personal revelations of this consumer society we are all inescapably locked into where the aspiration has outstripped and replaced the reality...

"But for the present age, which prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, representation to reality, appearance to essence . . . truth is considered profane, and only illusion is sacred. Sacredness is in fact held to be enhanced in proportion as truth decreases and illusion increases, so that the highest degree of illusion comes to be the highest degree of sacredness.” - Feuerbach (1841)

No comments:

Post a Comment